Friday, May 9, 2008

Some perspective (Guest Blog)

I left my comfy space in Portland Oregon, so hey, why not try to post a guest blog. It is one of the many first time experiences I have have since arriving in Mexico City. Many of you know how straight and to the point I like to be so here are some thoughts, observations, challenges, question...what ever you wish to call them I wish to share them. They are things I have been pondering throughout the week.

 

* Have you ever been worried about your child being bitten by rats while sleeping at night?

* Would you stand in the middle of traffic - BAD DRIVERS AND BUSY TRAFFIC - to sell snacks or newspapers to make money for your family?

* Why can't we leave our children (under the age of 5) at home while searching through the local dump to find useable household items, clothing and food?

* I will think twice before I say, "I don't want to eat chicken again" when I have a freezer and fridge full of delicacies to choose from...then call pizza hut.

* I will never appreciate a COLD bottle of water or can of soda more than I do now.

* I will remember the smiles of the child with the dirty face, tattered shoes, sitting in fecies and eating food with flies all around.

* When I help a customer complaining about a slight defect in the finish of their hardware I will remember the walls made of mattresses and doors made of scrap wood. I wonder if they care what finish their doorknob is.... oh yeah, they don't have one.

* Everywhere I went I saw people loving each other.  Couples held hands, fathers played with their children; they physically embraced each other regularly.

*Why can't I bring every child I know to see how these beautiful, humble, gracious people are living? Would they appreciate what they have or would they continually be blinded by greed?

* I have eaten food that has made me very very happy :)

* I would have never gotten to know some pretty fab folks at rejuvenation.

 

Many nights I tossed and turned from all of the thoughts and feelings that have been brewing a bubbling. I got through the whole week without crying, but today was my day. As I stood behind a table giving out the donated clothes, school supplies, and personal hygiene items it hit me. I was giving away a piece of myself with every item that was given off that table. And I was honored to do so. I could understand much of what they were saying but we spoke to each other’s hearts and I got some great hugs out of it.

 

I gotta go now. I am exhilarated, exhausted, and in much need of a shower. As I get ready to go home I pray for the people of Mexico city and the families at the dump. God has a purpose for everyone and everything and though their situation may look hopeless to outsiders they are a strong people. I gave my time and energy, but they gave more to me then they will ever know.

 

Dios le bendinga mi Amigos Y mi Amigas!

 

Donna

No comments: